Fill in data. Optionally download the Simple-Importer component to import/export csv files.
You must save the account for the first time before you can create relationships. One account may have several addresses, remember to choose one as being the "main address" that shows on the form. Multiple emails and relationships are also available.
Unique id (UID) is not a required field, but if you enter a UID that already exists, a message will show up on top of the form indicating the user id that has the same UID. That helps you from inserting duplicates, but does not prevent you from saving. UID can be a social security number, or another UID in each country or business vertical.
When creating a relation, that you fill in a new related party (person or business), the system creates the related party in the database. For instance: you create a person account that works for a company, the company is created in the database, with just the name; you have to remember to go back and fill out the company information. You can open the related account on a separated page or tab, to leave it open and fill in more data later.
The person works for company relation is marked in the person account information, not in the company information. If you want to see all people that work for a company, just go to the account list and filter by company name.
The goal is to be simple, so, no controls are included to prevent saving data, that is, we have no impediments to leave empty fields and no checks on address-zip, email validation, etc., the goal is to be simple and fast for the person typing in data. This is by design to improve sales executive productivity in the field rather than controlling the sales executive time and activities.
The system allows you to delete accounts, there is no prevention other than a confirmation pop-up, but that is the only information that can be deleted. Deleted accounts cannot be recovered. The orders, opportunities and notes cannot be deleted but can be archived. When deleting an account, the related information is not deleted.
If running the component on your servers, you can delete obsolete data directly from the database.
Your clients should have an account at gravatar.com to upload photos. Simple-CRM gets photos from gravatar.com, we do not store photos inside your Joomla! site.
Business accounts should insert logos in clearbit.com. Simple-CRM uses an API to get logos from Clearbit.
By using these third party APIs we are safe from infringing copyrights or intellectual property rights, as well as maintaining clients' privacy.
Relationships for fund-raising, clubs, associations and social networks
If your use of simple-CRM is for B2C you probably will never use all types of relationships available under the select option, leave it blank if do not need it.
If you use it for B2B, assigning people to business accounts is a good idea, and relations like "assistant of" or "works for" are useful when selling contracts.
The relations are especially valuable when you want to map friends and families, useful for fundraising, for instance.
- pencil: create an annotation of the conversation
- link: create a relationship to another account
- house: go to the list or create an address for this account
- pin: create a lead or opportunity
- shopping-cart: register a deal, make an order
In every "create" form used to add, view or edit, you will see a pencil just like the figure below. Click on the pencil to create a new annotation of the conversation with the client. Conversations will be tied to the account name and you can list all notes for the account at any time.
Give this opportunity a name (short) and a description. After save you can add as many annotations as you like. A good practice is to have only one note for each time you talk with the client.
You may annotate frugal things like how was the client feeling that day, what was his/her concerns, etc., that annotations are good to remember the next time you talk with this client - creating a way for you to develop an informal conversation - that helps you sell. You may annotate important things like: why you are not buying today, what we need to achieve to change your decision, how we can close this deal by day X, etc. Notes about client rejection are as good as client reasons to buy.
Annotations are not intended to control your sales activity! They are designed to improve your sales skills, in a learning process as well as "improving your memory" when talking with clients.
You can choose to navigate only through opportunities so, when on the phone or in a meeting, always have the opportunity page open. If you are using a tablet you can annotate directly on simple-CRM while in a meeting with the client, and have the history of past conversations right in front of your eyes.
Opportunity stage or status
It is up to you to decide how you judge the opportunity to flag the evolution to closing. We give you 5 common stages thought in many value selling courses:
- Show interest - this is a lead, is someone that asked for information, called to ask price, sent you a response email, downloaded something from your site... many forms of reacting to your presence. Usually, less than 10% of the interested people will actually purchase. This status measures the size of your window to the world, nothing more than that. But you want to monitor the leads and try to "convert." At this stage, the conversation is almost absent and you do not have much to write down.
- Qualifying - your lead contact responded to your insistence and asked for more information. This stage is when a lead has turned into a real sales opportunity. At this stage, you have conversations worth noting so, write them down.
- Proposal sent - you have submitted a quote (verbal or written) and the client has all data necessary to decide, but you are waiting for a response. Chances are now 50% of closing, as the client can say yes or no.
- Negotiation - high chances of closing, means the answer was "maybe" and you are now talking about details like Terms and Conditions or price discount. 75% chances of closing.
- Won / lost - that will close the opportunity (flag archived)
Clients may skip stages and go straight to closing.
Closed won will ask you to create an order. That is optional, because you may use orders or not, depends on your process. Using orders is an easier way to list and measure conversion as the order value may differ from opportunity value.
New opportunity for a new account
Let's say you answer the phone or receive a message from a new person, you have opportunities page in front of you, just select "new opportunity" and the "+ new account" and a modal will open for you to write down the new account name, save and continue creating the opportunity. The new account is created automatically. After you save the opportunity, you can open the account form to fulfill additional information.
You can create orders from the "closed won" opportunity or can create a new order directly from the "create order" menu. You can create a new customer directly from the create order form.
Remember to select if the invoice is for the person account or for the business account - both will always be linked. The order saves its information; if you later delete the account the saved order will not be modified.
Orders auto create notes, that can be identified with "Order" pretext in its title, and "System Log" to identify that the system is who created the note.
When you check all notes from an account, you can see all orders and all opportunities ever created for that account.
Orders can control delivery status and post-sales calls, under services choose:
- Backlog/waiting: nothing has been done after order save
- Schedule: order is scheduled for production or delivery
- In Process: order is being prepared or service is in execution
- Delivered, in Transit: like it says, went out but still not arrived
- Confirmed OK: order completed
- Returned by client (re-open): something needs to be done to correct the order
If necessary, you can write new notes referring to this order so that the next time a sales agent calls the client all history is available.